I enjoyed our state wide PD.
iSpring Free
I covered ppt and iSpring Free - recording a narration to ppt and converting the presentation to a flash movie. Then uploading to wiki. This is something I do often to create extra learning resources for my learners.
Embedding Video
Karen showed us how to embed videos into a wiki. I had been doing this by downloading a video from YouTube then uploading the file. Karen showed us an easier way to use the code in the Video widget. As I had a video that was too big to upload to wiki I was thrilled and couldn't wait to try it - 2 minutes after the session finished I had embedded The Story of Stuff by Annie Leonard to my Sustainability wiki. Great stuff - thanks, Karen
Uploading Audio
Lynne showed us how to upload audio to a wiki. This was also very timely for me as I am delivering Cert IV TAE units next semester and hope to use audio files as learning resources. I liked the way that Lynne did an application share to show us then reinforced the instructions with her ppt.
Reflection
I found the planning and preparation was painless - could have to do with the wonderful team I work with!! We each did our bit of the ppt and Lynne collated them. Thanks, Lynne.
Tech Room
I like the Tech room that Karen created, though we didn't need to use it, it is good to know that it is there. The idea is that Karen has created a breakout room where one of us can take any participant who is having troubles eg: with their audio. Hopefully the problem can be solved and the participant returns to the session without the other participants losing 10 to 15 minutes of the session while problems are sorted out.
My Feedback
Lynne had asked Debbie to give us constructive feedback on our presentation. Debbie missed my presentation and gave me later feedback after she watched the recording.
Debbie gave me very positive feedback:
"Christine, I just watched your presentation back and it was so well paced and so well explained that I dont actually have anything constructive to feedback to you."
She also told me that she has downloaded iSpring Free and completed a quick trial - she intends to use it in the future. One convert already!
Attendance
A bit disappointing. We had five participants, surprisingly only one from Eastern Region. We did receive some apologies. It was good to see Jen from Sandy Beach and Andrea from Robinvale (why do I feel that they travelled a long way to attend?). Unfortunately most of our participants did not have microphones but they participated well in the text chat and writing on the whiteboard.
Overview
I enjoyed the presentation - painless to produce, interesting to attend (I learnt new things or was reminded about things I have forgotten), great to see attendees from other regions. Good idea to get some feedback on our presentation - we can always improve!
I really enjoyed the presentation too and was also appreciative of the feedback. I had a horrid feeling I was going too fast but couldn't seem to help myself! I think it's the lack of visual cues. I assume if nobody is showing any issues, you march on regardless. Will learn from this and make my presentations less of a march and more a gently paced stroll.
ReplyDeleteThe pace obviously ended being quite ok for you though Christine! Excellent job on getting the video uploaded. Much easier and it means Youtube do the hosting and not the whole video sitting there. Loved your enthusiasm :)
I enjoyed your presentation, Karen and do thank you for reminding me to use the widget to link to YouTube. I was thrilled to be able to have 'The Story of Stuff' showing on my sustainability wiki.
ReplyDeleteI didn't have a problem with the pace of your presentation, I followed it comfortably.
It is awkward presenting with no visual clues. The first time I did it I felt as though I was talking to a blank wall. But now I have confidence that you and Lynne have my back and will tell me of any problems and watch the text chat for me - I still can't watch the chat and talk at the same time (and women are supposed to be multi-taskers!)