Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Getting to know you

I have just visited Patricia from Waverley Adult Literacy in Chadstone to find out her progress. Gloria unfortunately didn't make it to the meeting but I hope to catch up with her some time soon.

Patricia & Gloria had already started a wiki and the aim was to use it for students and tutors. To date, not many tutors have accessed the site and it seemed one person was in charge of updating. We spoke about others uploading information so that it was managed by all and not just one...sense of ownership.

The wiki had a page to be used for the students to get their homework. Homework consisted of downloading an image to their computer and then cropping the image. The cropped image could then be uploaded to the site or link to Flickr, her chosen method of keeping the photos 'in the cloud'.

We spoke about linking to individual student pages from this homework pages to separate student work for their records. She seemed to like that idea :)

There will be meeting with the tutors next week to go through a new course for getting photos to email and the wiki would hopefully become part of that. I offered to go in and talk to the tutors to encourage some enthusiasm. I do hope they take me up on the offer.

Patricia asked about the next blackboard session. Hopefully she will manage to attend our session this afternoon and gain more information about the technologies out there on offer.

I also phoned Karin from Orana to ask if they would like to re-engage in the project. I am yet to receive confirmation from the Manager but if Karin's enthusiasm is anything to go by, I think we'll be working together very shortly!! We came up with a few ideas over the phone and she even emailed me with more........embedding a calendar listing the room allocations! It was something I might even adopt for Coonara :) She was quite keen to use it for tutors to remain in contact about things.

It's really nice to finally get out there and meet with these people who are taking these steps into the E-world.

2 comments:

  1. Great work, Karen! It is inspiring working with e-leaders isn't it?
    You have got off to a flying start.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very inspiring! And it's great to bring ourselves back to the simple things we all began with. We all stuck our toe in the water in different ways and have developed over time. I am seeing so much of myself in them....everything that's new and exciting.

    ReplyDelete